The most common question asked about the Mansion is "Who was Glen Sanders?" There never was a man by that name. The Mansion is named for two families that were an integral part of our area's history.
Alexander Lindsey Glen, born in Scotland, was the first to settle on the north side of the Mohawk River. He named his new home "Nova Scotia" meaning "New Scotland." The year was 1658, three years before the founding of Schenectady.
Built as a trading port, the original structure was a substantial stone house about one hundred feet closer to the river. Glen was an agent for the Dutch West India Company, and the Mohawk Valley was a much traveled pathway for trappers from the north. Damages due to flooding compelled Glen to salvage what he could and use the materials in the construction of a new one room dwelling. This is the kitchen of the present house. With additions, the new house soon was comprised with a hall and three rooms. The original Dutch gambrel roof is still intact.
In 1713, Glens' son expanded the house by adding the east wing. This is now the dining room and Maquas Lounge. The Glen Family was host to many historical figures including : General George Washington and Louis Philippe of France, who stayed here in exile.
In 1739, Glen's great-granddaughter, Debra Glen, married John Sanders of Albany. In 1765, John and Debra Sanders become the sole owners of the Glen Estate, making it known as the Glen Sanders Mansion. From that date until 1961 the house remained in the possession of the Glen family handed down from generation to generation.